Mold in your home can present a whole host of health problems, from sinus issues to more serious ear, nose and throat difficulties. The best solution? Use these tips to prevent mold from developing in the first place!
- Mold loves high humidity and moisture, so use dehumidifiers, fans and open windows to reduce the level of moisture in your home.
- Fix plumbing leaks as soon as you spot them — or they could become a haven for mold.
- Clean fabrics like your carpets, chairs and couches routinely, and keep them dry.
- Store items in dry, well-ventilated areas so they don’t cultivate mold.
- Mold only needs 24-48 hours of moisture to begin growing — so if it’s too late, throw the infected item out! Don’t attempt to salvage something that’s already sprouting mold.
- Bathrooms are some of the biggest culprits for mold because of the humidity and moisture from showers. Hang your towels so they dry quicker, wipe down your shower at the end of each day and choose shower curtains that dry easily.
- In addition, be sure to use the exhaust fan in your bathroom to air it out after showering.
- Don’t leave wet clothes in the laundry — immediately transfer to the dryer or hang to dry.
- If you see condensation collecting on your windows, walls or pipes, dry the wet surface as soon as possible and identify the source.
- Clean, disinfect and dry surfaces in your home regularly.
If it’s too late and you’ve noticed mold in your home, grab your gloves or hire a professional to get rid of it! If you need the experts to come in, check out Zaarly — ask your ReeceNichols agent for a code to get $50 off your first service.
Zaarly is available in the Kansas City metro area. Ask your ReeceNichols agent for full details.